About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States

Thursday, July 3, 2014

May 2014 Birchbox

May 2014 Birchbox Overview:


  • Body wash retails $18 for 11.5oz.  Lotion retails $22 for 8oz.
  • About the product: Caldrea focuses on plant based botanical ingredients and all of their products are vegan, free of phthalates, parabens, formaldehyde, and artificial colors.  Linden flower extract provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits, rice bran oil helps maintain skin tone and elasticity,  while chia seed oil hydrates skin and helps prevent free radical damage.  The scent combines top notes of white fig, plum, and coconut. 
  • What I thought: 1st off I LOVED the scent as it was very natural and fresh.  The lotion was more like a body milk, like The Body Shop's coconut milk body lotion spray, & a little goes a long way.  It seeps in quickly and gives long lasting moisture.  As far as the body wash goes, it didn't lather up as much as I would have liked it to, but it left me feeling clean and fresh when out of the bath.  The scent is light so you can become desensitized to it quickly but it's very comforting.  I'd love to use these at a spa or tropical resort.  They are perfect for summer!
  • I would buy these. 

  • Retails $19.99 for 1.5oz.
  • About the product: Made for all skin tones, fair to dark, this sunscreen is lightly tinted to enhance skin radiance.  Its hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic formula is mineral rich which includes zinc oxide that protects skin from irritants, and titanium dioxide which protects from UVA and UVB radiation.  Apply the product 15 minutes before sun exposure and at least every 2 hours, or after 80 minutes of swimming or vigorous activity that causes sweating.
  • What I thought: When I 1st saw the product I actually thought it was going to be too dark on my skin because of how it was tinted but it felt light and blended in well. I didn't notice any additional tint to my skin or steaks, and it didn't have that sunscreen scent most products with SPF have.  Usually products with SPF over 25 can make my face break out but it was so light I almost thought it was ineffective.  Until the day I wore it out, forgot to put sunscreen anywhere else as I ended up with my face being fine but an awful sunburn on my neck and shoulders!  Though it blended well at the tint it was, they also do make a CōTZ Face for Lighter & Fair Skin Tones.  This will be replacing my current SPF face lotion!
  • I will buy this.

  • Retails $8 for 0.141oz.
  • About the product: Ranging from clear to a ripe raspberry color, you should be able to find a shade that you prefer out of the 5 hues they offer.  This nourishing balm is packed with shea butter to moisturize, and vitamin E to protect your lips.  Apply by smoothing onto lips, layering for more color intensity. 
  • What I thought: When I 1st opened it I was put off by the color I received, which was Pixi Pink, as the electric pink color pierced my eyes.  Though after applying it, it went on sheer and gave a much softer pink color than expected.  It has a light, sweet shea scent and continuous use will keep your lips soft and healthy.  The color is nice for summer but maybe not the other seasons. Once this runs out I'll be buying more!
  • I would buy this.

  • Pre-Wash Primer retails $17.99 for 3.3oz.  Shampoo retails $11.99 for 13.5oz.  Conditioner retails $14.99 for 13.5oz.
  • About the product: For the pre-wash primer, add 1-2 drops and smooth into hair before washing by focusing on tips and massaging up into the roots.  This product shields hair by repelling water to lock in color.  For the shampoo and conditioner, work a generous amount into hair from roots to tips then rinse.  All products contain sweet almond oil and white orchid extract to moisturize hair and prevent breakage, coconut oil to give bounce and texture, and argan oil to improve shine.  
  • What I thought: I don't feel any of the products assisted in any way to the vibrancy of my hair color. Using just a little bit of the pre-wash primer left my hands feeling oily but I couldn't really tell if it was evenly distributed throughout my hair.  I feel the primer left my hair feeling more greasy and weighed down. They smelled good but I'm always looking for a product to "WOW" me and this didn't come anywhere close.  I've had much better results from brands much cheaper than this.  After drying my hair it even felt a bit sticky.
  • I wouldn't buy any of these.

Votive Candle in First Blush by Greenleaf.
  • Retails $1.92 for one 2oz votive.
  • About the product: Ensuring signature quality over 35 years, Greenleaf scents are specially formulated in-house.  Their candles are a blend of soy and vegetable waxes.  The First Blush scent is a blend of white musk and citrus, with notes of poppy and floral blossoms.
  • What I thought: I received a votive in the First Blush scent.  The scent is strongly perfumed and much too floral for me.  If you like Victorian floral scents you may like it.  Their site has many different scents to choose from & they are very comparable to Yankee Candle as far as price.  Though I usually stock up on YC when everything is 1/2 (or more) off.  I'll probably use this in my bathroom & maybe someday in the future I'll see how I like their other scents.
  • I'd be open to buying them in a different scent.
~
 
I do apologize as the reviews had been done a while ago & only now did I get everything put together.  Already working on my June Birchbox post with a few other exciting things.  I really hope everyone has a fantastic 4th of July!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment